Remember way back in 2004 when ads popped up like a scary Jack-In-A-Box all over the place. Ads from third party media. Untargeted. The most hated online advertising technique.
Much has changed since. Designs have improved. Tech is more smooth now. And researched showed that a marketing layover can substantially increase your conversion. More subscribers. More sales. Increased customer retention. All adds to our bottom line.
Angus Lynch at KissMetrics wrote a blog post about the 7 habits of highly effective website marketing overlays. Go read it. I think it will give you something to think about.
My main take aways:
- Know what your audience values before introducing one
- Use it only to offer visitors incredible value
- Be selective with regards to whom you serve a marketing overlay, how often you serve them and what kinds of call to action you serve.
- Make sure the button text emphasize the benefit (Get Your Discount or Grab Your Book as opposed to Submit or Subscribe)
Before you go
If the contents of this article interested you, would you please do me a favor and leave me a comment?
- Have you ever taken action on a marketing overlay?
- Will overlays annoy you up to a point that you click away?
- Do you use overlays on your website?
As a thank you for leaving a comment, a link to your latest article will appear at the end of your contribution.
Photo credit: Pascal –